And I mean truly happy. Not the transient sort of happy.
For once, I feel like life has dealt me a good hand!
And things are turning around for the better.
This place has made me happy.
The beauty that it has opened up to me.
I feel radiant again, like a flower that is blooming.
A beautiful flower - a rose or peony- that is fragrant and attracting the bees to it.
I feel like I have that infectious energy again that opens doors to meeting new people and forming great memories.
Because happiness opens you up to the world. Happiness brings people together.
And the music.
Well it’s back. And it feels so good!
As I stood at the back of the bar at Signal Kitchen purchasing a cd of the band I just heard, they came out one by one and just hung out.
And I introduced myself to everybody.
And we stood around, and laughed and told stories for a good 20 minutes.
I had no idea who they were.
Brothers - the lead singer and one of the guitarists. It was obvious. I thought they were twins.
The lead singer says he trained with a singing coach from LA who trained the lead singer of Creed.
Seriously?! Wow! Impressive!
I don’t even know who Creed is but I know they’re a popular band.
And they were so down to earth these guys.
The guys in the band who were living in San Fran were teasing the band members and their manager from San Jose.
And so they carried on cracking jokes about San Jose!
They were so comfortable in their own skin.
And I realized, so was I! That’s because I had no idea who they were at the time. Then I came home and saw they are on iTunes, Spotify, and YouTube.
Holy Shit! These guys are professionals! And it was obvious by their performance. But I guess I just went with it.
The lead singer, well his voice was just so dynamic, crisp, powerful, and sexy.
It just bellowed through the place.
And watching his movements on stage — well they looked like convulsions they were so intense!
But off stage, well he turned into a mouse.
Appeared so kind, gentle, and humble despite all that talent.
He stood there in his hoodie, holding a good, cold pint of Vermont beer and laughed, his pure white teeth glistening and illuminating that dark space.
And they said that Vermont was so beautiful.
It was their first time here.
“We went down to the Lake!”, they said.
And I told them to come back here to perform.
Higher Ground maybe they were saying? And they said they definitely would.
But now they are off on tour to 40 other cities.
How cool!
And that’s the thing about music.
Musicians always find a way to come together. Because we share a common language that is unspoken but communicated through music. .
Because despite being from all different walks of life, we understand each other.
We respect each other. We admire each other’s talents.
And they were only the headliner for the next band Miniature Tigers.
But they were oh so much better than them! And I told them that as I left the place.
I listened to their cd the whole 50 minute drive home.
And realized that their music heard live was absolute perfection.
Their drummer was the best I had ever heard live!
And I loved the Asian guy with his shock of gold hair styled into a mohawk, that shook and danced fervently like a peacock’s tail on stage!
I was digging these guys and their music!
And there were only 20 people in the audience. 20 people!
I felt bad for them. They said they’ve played for venues for up to 5,000 people.
I asked them if they were disappointed. They said they don’t even think about it anymore when they are on tour.
That they play the same no matter what.
You could tell they played their heart out, and you can tell they meant every lyric that was sung, every chord that was strung.
And it was powerful because of that. They believed in their performance and in what they were sharing with their audience.
And as I stood there with my pager, they played a song called ‘ Doctor.’
Haha. No way! I thought to myself!
And I smiled. I’m so glad I didn’t go home after work.
I had to be in town anyway until 10 pm for admissions at the hospital.
So why not hang out, drink some water and listen to this amazing music around me? And talk to the band members afterwards!
Haha, I’m becoming a groupie! says my sister. She may be right!
The performance was special because it felt like I was in my own living room and this band was playing just for me. And that’s what was so magical about it.
It was like no one else was there.
And so, I was happy. And I realize I am happy to be living life again.
Because as painful as some days may be, I know there are better days ahead.
Someone special reminded me of that.
And well, when I’m feeling sad, I think of that. Because I know that person is thinking about me and cares. And it gives me hope!
So here’s to the music coming alive again.
And to me being reborn.


No comments:
Post a Comment